Ir al contenido principal

Forbidden Door Draws Near! The Elite Returns As A Trios Team! ZSJ Invades Collision! Kris Statlander And Mina Shirakawa Fights For A Big Spot! Athena and Maya World: Who's Heading To The Finals Against Mercedes Mone?

Hola, lucha fans! I hope you're having a good day to welcome you to the new entry of Lucha Corner, a place where I bring you mucho wrestling! I'm Francis aka Francisthewitcher, and today I'm going to recap and review the events of last Saturday's Collision as we're headng to Forbidden Door this Sunday!



Trios Tag Team Match: The Elite vs The Lethal Twist.


The show kicked off with Jack Perry and The Young Bucks taking on Jay White, Blake Christian and Lee Johnson in a trios match. 

It was just about a fun opening to have Jack Perry teaming up with The Young Bucks again, given that they both have history all the way back when Jack Perry turned heel and the Young Bucks were formerly known as the EVPs. 

And as I probably mentioned in my previous reviews, it's still great to see Jack Perry back to being a high-flyer wrestler, as that's what he was fondly known for. On the other hand, I feel like Blake Christian and Lee Johnson should be back as a tag team and join AEW's tag team division. I have nothing against Jay Lethal being on at the same time, but at some point, both Christian and Johnson deserve a push, as they've often been featured on TV.

Survival Of The Fittest Qualifying Match: Kris Statlander vs Mina Shirakawa.




Next, we got Mina Shirakawa and Kris Statlander facing off for the spot at Survival Of The Fittest that's gonna take place on July 1st after Forbidden Door PPV. 

That was one of the matches that took my by surprise with two of my favorites facing each other with this stipulation, and while I didn't expect anything less from them as they delivered a good match, I really wanted Mina to win. That's just my personal opinion though.

However, I think I can see what they're actually doing. I mean, I can see Mina challenging whoever becomes the new TBS champion and I'm sure she's going to get that opportunity she deserves. But that's only a speculation. Still, Mina deserves an important win because she brings a lot to the table to be a champion material.

Anyway, I think the match was fine and it was smart to make Mina lose with a roll-up pin in order to protect her.

Chris Jericho and Tommaso Ciampa Face-To-Face.



So we also got a promo segment where Jericho and Ciampa once again confronted each other to have a serious conversation. Jericho started that he would only show his serious side to anyone worthy, and Ciampa was not an exception. He continued by saying that he's been wishing to face Ciampa ever since he joined AEW, but he doesn't have the right to dictate which version of Jericho he demands because what he's only gonna get is the Jericho who beat him.

Ciampa, however, was pleased to see Jericho finally getting serious and proposed an idea that they would settle their dispute at Beach Break, which is going to take place at Clearwater on July 8. Jericho accepted the idea but apologizes to Nigel McGuiness before throwing punches with Ciampa, ending the segment with a brawl.

Honestly, this was an upgrade from their last interaction they had. And while I'm not that excited for their match, I'm sure they're gonna do their best. Jericho still have some fire left in him despite his age and I think he's gonna do his best. What I hope though is that the match would conclude their feud so Ciampa could go back at winning more gold at AEW.

Singles Match: Mistico vs Dante Martin. 



Next, we got Mistico and Dante Martin facing one-on-one. It was an interesting concept to have Dante Martin facing the most popular luchadores from CMLL. 

I think it was a fine match, even though I was expecting more of Dante Martin since he's one of the best high-flyers in wrestling, but on the other hand, I can understand if he felt some pressure to reach everyone's expectations, especially facing someone like Mistico. 

Still, I kinda enjoyed this bout with Mistico finishing with a Spanish Fly off the turnbuckle to gain the win. And it was good to see Dante Martin back on TV. But I'm more happy to see Matt Sydal returning after going through a long recovery for his injured foot and it's great that they're now setting up a new feud with Ricochet, his old tag team partner.

Singles Match: Zack Sabre Jr. vs Adam Priest.



Before we got to the main event, Zack Sabre Jr., the best technical wrestler alive, went to face Adam Priest. I always enjoyed to see two technical wrestlers clashing and this wasn't an exception. 

Another thing that I liked was that ZSJ was getting more matches in AEW days before his big match with Kenny Omega takes place this Sunday at Forbidden Door. Furthermore, him facing some wrestlers from the AEW locker room is the most interesting part, especially when Jack Perry personally challenged him for Dynamite this week, and no doubt this would be more fun to watch.

Adam Priest also deliver some good performance and I can see AEW sees some potential in him. I just hope they haven't forgotten about Tommy Billington, but I know he's still developing.

Owen Hart Tournament's Semifinals Match: Maya World vs Athena.


Finally, we're getting to the important moment of this show. The big match between the student and the mentor, Maya and Athena collided for the ticket to the finals of the Owen Hart Tournament. 

I think it's pretty obvious what I'm gonna say about this match, but I really need to say that Maya and Athena  was a match no one would have seen that coming, but they really outdid themselves to give us another great women's match. 

I also know there's been some debate regarding Maya heading to Forbidden Door to face Mercedes instead of Athena, and I can understand that sentiment. But there's no doubt that Maya World proved herself to be a dedicated wrestler and how hard she's been working to get that spot, especially amid the tragic event regarding her brother who inspired her to become a wrestler.

And with the emotional final segment that didn't last longer when Mercedes came out and both she and Athena went to beat Maya, it was clear that Athena will show up at AEW more. I'm curious about her reasons to side with Mercedes, but I know the answers will soon be answered this week. 

CONCLUSION.


Last week's Collision was pretty good with just a few misses. Not only that, we also recieved more interesting announcements for Forbidden Door card. Such as The Young Bucks, Mistico and Mascara Dorada, Shingo Takagi and Titan being part of a 3-way tag team match; And Thunder Rosa teams up with Olympia to face the Divine Dominion for the AEW's Tag Team Champions.

Those announcements really surprised me and I'm here to personally take back my words I said. While I still think they need to work on the time with the announcements instead of being late, I retract my remark about scrapping Forbidden Door as the PPV. 

I also believe that maybe this was just an off year considering that the FIFA World Cup is happening and other circumstances. But be that as it may, Forbidden Door is really shaping up to be a solid PPV event and I'm glad I was wrong to diminish this. 

So that's all for this review, I hope you enjoyed reading this. If you have a question or have an opinion to share, just leave a comment. Also don't forget to follow me on Twitter or Instagram. Your support will be much appreciated.

Without further ado, I wish you all lucha fans a very nice day and please support pro wrestling and lucha libre!

Hasta la proxima!

Comentarios

Entradas más populares de este blog

"Hangman" Adam Page - The Cowboy's Promise

Hello, lucha fans! Welcome to Lucha Corner, where I bring you mucho wrestling! I'm Francis aka francisthewitcher. And today I have a new subject I'd like to talk about. As someone who loves all about creativity and imagination, I thought I could at least touch subjects about storylines and gimmicks in pro wrestling.  So for this occasion, I'm going to talk about what happened at Collision last week when 'Hangman' Adam Page made a return to AEW. Last time we saw him, we witnessed him suffering a devastating defeat against MJF in the Texas Deathmatch at Revolution, where he also lost the stipulation that he would never challenge for the AEW World Championship again.  After that day, Adam Page remained missing for four months as reports confirmed that he needed to take some time off. During his absence, many fans have been wondering what was going through his mind. Some thought that maybe he was isolating himself, others believed that he's recovering mentally after...

Kenny Omega And ZSJ Meets Again! Chaos In The Don Callis Family! Brodido Are Back On The Road! Hazuki and Mercedes Delivered The Best Women's Match Of The Year! Will Ospreay and Swerve Strickland's Feud Boils!

Hola, lucha fans! Welcome to another entry of Lucha Corner, where I bring you mucho wrestling! I'm Francis aka Francisthewitcher and today I'm going to recap and review what we all witnessed in this week's Dynamite. So let's get started, shall we? The show kicked off with a backstage interview where MJF and Don Callis makes an announcement of who will be part of MJF's team. Don Callis revealed the following members: Kevin Knight, Kyle Fletcher, Jake Doyle, Kazuchika Okada, and last but not least, Andrade El Idolo.However, Andrade wasn't happy with the announcement, not to mention that apparently Trent Beretta thought he was going to be in the team.  But back to Andrade, he was clearly not pleased to work with MJF, especially when he was telling Kevin Knight he would get a title shot. Don Callis, of course, tried to calm Andrade with the empty promise that he will get it. Now, about the lineup, I kinda knew that the entire MJF's team was going to be from the ...

Tensions Grows Within The Don Callis Family! Mark Briscoe Finally Gets A Title Shot? Darby Allin Makes A Surprise Return! What Can We Expect For Forbidden Door?

 Hola, lucha fans! Welcome to Lucha Corner, where I bring you mucho wrestling! I'm Francis aka Francisthewitcher, and today's blog entry I'm going to talk about the events that transpired in AEW Dynaite: Summer Blockbuster. And this time I feel like there's some points I need to talk. So let's get started! Tommaso Ciampa and Jericho's Promo. Tomasso Ciampa kicked off the show by coming out to the ring and farm more heat from the fans as he threatened Tony Schiavone of breaking his back if he wouldn't say that he's better than Chris Jericho. And just before Schiavone was going to comply, Jericho finally comes out after two weeks in absence.  When Jericho gets inside the ring to confront Ciampa, that's when things went the way I wasn't expecting. Let me explain, the first half of the segment felt pretty odd because what Jericho could say after Tommasso Ciampa attacked him, leaving him inactive for a couple of weeks, was that "Tommy" sound...